JOB DESCRIPTION – RETAIL ASSISTANT (PART TIME)
To work as part of the retail team to ensure excellent customer service by engaging positively and actively with every customer. Providing a great shopping experience for customers by keeping the shop well-merchandised, properly stocked, and clean & tidy. Keeping up-to-date about new products and equipping yourself with product and supplier knowledge. Ensuring accuracy with till transactions, labelling and pricing. To work in a positive way with all members of the retail team to contribute to a great working environment for everybody.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing an excellent shopping experience for all customers by engaging positively and actively with everybody on the shop floor. This includes making certain that every customer is greeted warmly, offered assistance, helped with any enquiries, and treated personally and professionally throughout their time in-store or on the telephone. Every customer should leave with a positive experience of the shop, even if they don’t buy anything!
- Staying knowledgeable about items for sale in the shop and the suppliers who provide them. This includes knowing about production methods and locations, ingredients and components, certifications and awards, as well as about, artists, designers and illustrators.
- Keeping the shop floor well-merchandised by maintaining in-store displays and creating new visual merchandising in-store under the direction of the Shop Managers.
- Stocking-up the shop floor with goods held in other areas by using your own initiative, and at the request of the Shop Managers or Stock Administrators. You may be asked to help put stock away in storage areas.
- Cleaning and tidying areas of the shop, displays and areas adjacent to the shop by using your own initiative and when requested by the Shop Managers.
- Accurately pricing the labelling stock as required by the Shop Manager and ensuring that goods on the shop floor remain appropriately and correctly priced and labelled.
- Processing sales through the till system in a confident and accurate manner. Ensuring accuracy in processing transaction payments so that transactions are charged correctly.
- Using our touchscreen till system to find products, check pricing, add customers or comments to transactions, and ensure the continued accuracy of the database. Escalating any issues encountered to the Shop Managers.
- Help everyone on the team to ensure that the back office, shop foyer and stock areas are always kept tidy and well organised.
- Be aware of health and safety procedures that pertain to your role including manual handling and working at height. Ensure that fire escape routes and extinguisher points are kept clear of deliveries or stock. Act in accordance with the University ‘don’t walk by’ policy at all times.
- Complete any other duties as required by the GM or Shop Manager to ensure the smooth running of the business.
- Work closely with all members of the retail team to ensure a positive and happy working environment.
We welcome applicants with passes at Standard Grade and Higher level (or equivalent), or a completed Foundational or Modern Apprenticeship in a related field e.g. Retail or Customer Services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
You must have proven experience of working in a face-to-face customer service role. Ideally this would include working in shops or visitor attractions on either a paid or voluntary basis.
You will need excellent standards of customer care, great interpersonal skills, and a commitment to working as a proactive team member to achieve the required standards.
You must be able to demonstrate that you are self-motivated, have a positive attitude and can prioritise while multi-tasking.
You should be a creative, independent thinker – keen to find solutions and work with others to achieve shared goals.
You should be a clear communicator in written and spoken English.
While not necessary, experience of the following would be useful in this role:
- Visual Merchandising
- Experience of cross-selling and up-selling
- Use of a touch screen till system
- Fluency in additional languages
This role requires some work in small stock areas, and accessing goods stored over 5ft high. The work environment contains steps to some areas. There is some manual handling of boxes of up to 15kg required. The role requires working at fixed till points and assisting customers on the shop floor for up to 4 hours without a break.
Your usual work pattern and contracted monthly hours will be agreed with the Company but may need to fluctuate from week-to-week depending on the demands of the business.
Your initial contract will be for 6-months, with a 3-month probationary period. Contract extension will be based upon the performance of the successful candidate and the Company.