JOB DESCRIPTION – MERCHANDISE MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER)
Thank you for your interest in the role of Merchandise Manager.
GU HERITAGE RETAIL LTD
GUHRL is the University of Glasgow’s retail company. The GUHRL team runs the University Gift Shop, the Hunterian Art Gallery Shop, the University’s Online Shop, and supplies University departments with branded merchandise. We work hard to provide welcoming shops and excellent customer service, as well as a creative and supportive working environment for each other. The company has a turnover in excess of £1 million annually and all profits are donated to the University. There are currently around 14 members of the GUHRL team depending on the time of year.
To be responsible for managing all aspects of merchandise sales to University departments and external clients, ensuring excellent levels of customer service. To discover great products, meet client objectives and make certain that everything from artwork proofing to product delivery runs smoothly. To work with the retail team to deliver business objectives and create working processes to streamline merchandise sales. To deputise for the General Manager in their absence on any issues related to University merchandise sales.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent service to our existing and prospective merchandise clients, minimising the time and effort that they need to spend on merchandise issues, and maximising their budgets wherever possible.
- Work with the General Manager on planning, budgeting and development of merchandise sales and a strategy for future growth.
- Work pro-actively with all members of the retail team to plan and implement merchandise sales procedures, helping them to continue to uphold customer service standards.
- Continuously strive to innovate and improve the merchandise offer, by finding new items, ensuring best value for money, considering environmental impacts and keeping to the University brand and its values.
- Take the lead on merchandise sales growth by creating strategies for existing clients, nurturing new business, and finding new sales avenues.
- Share knowledge and provide reports to the retail team ensuring that everyone has a good understanding of the merchandise business. And listen to feedback from other members of staff and customers to create the best offer that we can.
- Maintain a flexible skill set and working attitude, ensuring that you can support all areas of the retail operation.
Essential – English to Higher level or equivalent, Mathematics to Standard Grade level or equivalent.
Desirable – Qualification or equivalent experience in MS Excel and Photoshop
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in a face-to-face sales role where depth of product knowledge was required.
- Knowledge of merchandise supply-chain and print/embellishment processes.
- Experience of budget planning.
- Ability to self-start, prioritise tasks effectively and work to tight deadlines is essential.
- Candidates who have previously worked in a branded merchandise sales role preferred.
You will work 21 hours per week in a standard pattern to be mutually agreed, this can include some remote working if desirable. However, the pattern may need to change on occasion to adapt to customer needs.
Salary range £20k to £21.5k pro rata.
To apply for this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV and a cover letter of not more than 500 words detailing why you are suitable for the role with reference to the job description below and your specific skills, experience and personal attributes.
Please ensure that your CV does not contain a photograph or your date-of-birth as these are not compatible with our equalities policy.
Deadline for applications: 12pm, Friday 28th February.